- Application Software Developer, NYS Education Department, Albany NY 1986-2016
- Designed, coded & supported customized applications for various offices, using tools such as Unysis EAD/Linc, PL-SQL, Oracle designer & Cobol.
- Led application development teams.
- Trained & supervised application developers.
- Managed, maintained & documented all phases of projects.
- Part-time family owned rental property manager, NY Capital Region, 1991-present
- Van courier contractor 1983-1986, NYC
- Mobile food vendor 1981-1982, NYC
- Painter 1980-1981, NYC
- Bike messenger 1979, NYC
- Canvasser, ERA campaign, 1979, NYC
Volunteer Activist Experience
Helped organize & lead progressive coalition political action in the NY Capital Region, including:
- Participated in campaigns 1997-present, of
- Saratoga Progressive Action
- Let NY Vote coalition
- Citizen Action of NY
- Coalition of Capital Region Progressives
- Working Families Party
- Saratoga Peace Alliance
- Interfaith Alliance of NY
- Occupy Albany
- Upper Hudson Peace Action
- Albany Social Justice Center
- Solidarity Committee of the Capital District
- Temple Sinai of Saratoga Springs Social Action committee
- various other progressive groups
- Member of Saratoga Progressive Action steering committee, 2016 – present.
- Member of Working Families Party statewide committee, 2013 – present.
- Helped lead Alliance for Democracy Capital District chapter, 1996-2006.
- Served on Alliance for Democracy northeast representative, 1998-2000.
- Helped organize MoveOn.org Capital District & Saratoga teams, 2006-2014.
- Regional organizer MoveOn.org, 2010-2014.
- Lead organizer of hundreds of local actions throughout upstate NY as part of larger campaigns of MoveOn , Indivisible, Citizen Action, Healthcare for America Now, Americans for Tax Fairness/Tax March, Families Belong Together & other groups.
- Worked with numerous progressive groups, coached & trained local activists, provided support for & kept track of local components of national & statewide actions.
- Supported campaigns of various statewide & local groups including Let NY Vote, Healthcare for All NY, Fair Elections NY, Womens March, No-IDC, Poor People’s Campaign, New Hope for All NY Budget.
- Supported campaigns of labor allies 1199 SEIU, NYS Nurses Association, Capital District Area Labor Federation, Solidarity Committee of the Capital District and other Labor unions & groups.
- Retired member of Public Employees Federation.
- Organized, led & participated in citizen lobbying, letter deliveries & related press events at NYS Capitol & LOB during legislative session.
- Collected WFP candidate petition signatures, numerous campaigns.
- Participated in & led WFP candidate interviews.
- Volunteered in campaigns (including collecting WFP candidate petition signatures, organizing & leading canvasses & phonebanks) of candidates including:
- Kirsten Gillibrand
- Scott Murphy
- Bill Owens
- Tedra Cobb
- Michelle Ostrelich
- Aaron Gladd
- Mike Derrick
- Aaron Woolf
- Madelyn Thorne
- Shaun Francis
- Joanne Yepsen
- Ralph Nader (sorry)
- John Kerry
- Barack Obama
- Bernie Sanders
- Helped organize local groups supporting candidates such as Albany & Saratoga for Obama & Capital Region & Saratoga for Bernie.
- Planned & managed all facets of campaigns
- Developed, produced & distributed public materials, such as media advisories & releases, flyers, signs & banners.
- Facilitated meetings, MCed public events.
- Organized meetings with elected officials.
- Participated in candidate interviews.
- Participated in outreach including phone-banking, door-to-door , calling media, flyering & petition gathering.
- Organized hundreds of public events including protests, rallies, vigils, marches, educational forums, debates, film viewings, organizing meetings, bus trips, dinners, fundraisers, parties, trainings and workshops.
- Organized creative public actions such as
- MOP/Money Out of Politics Mop & Broom crew outside of politicians’ fundraisers
- Billionaires for Bush (also Elitists for Elise & other variations)
- Other street theatre such as “HealthCare in Jeopardy” game show
- Edited Capital District Peace and Justice calendar 1998-2006.
- Co-hosted WRPI political talk radio 1999-2000.
- Attended Citizen Action’s Justice Works conferences.
- Attended WFP/Wellstone Action Progressive Leadership training, 2016.
- Numerous letters to the editor printed in local newspapers, and interviewed by numerous local newspapers, radio & TV stations, for some examples see http://www.timesunion.com/search/?action=search&firstRequest=1&searchindex=gsa&query=joe+seeman & http://www.saratogian.com/search?nocache=1&text=joe+seeman&days=7500&sort=modifiedtime+desc
- Participated is Anti-Nuclear activism with
- Abalone Alliance, Claremont CA 1977-1979
- Shad Alliance NYC 1979-1981
- Helped organize student walk-out in solidarity with teachers, Murrow High School 1975.
- Interfaith Alliance of NY Ed Bloch Voices that Challenge award, 2008
- Solidarity Committee of the Capital District Labor Day award, 2009
- Citizen Action’s Jim Perry Award, 2010 (http://citizenactionny.org/2010/05/joe-seeman—local-activist-and-2010-jim-perry-progressive-leadership-award-honoree/2910)
- Kingsborough Community College 1983-1985
Coursework in Computer Science
- Pitzer College 1976-1979
Coursework in Psychology and Philosophy
U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, contact: Jess Fassler, Chief of Staff [email protected]
Aaron Mair, president of the Sierra Club and longtime activist, contact: [email protected]
Susan Weber, WFP state committee member and longtime activist, contact: [email protected]
Other references available upon request.